Sunday, April 4, 2010

FRANKENSTEIN 2 April 2010

SCENE ONE

Boat. I have the chills. For official. I think this is a really intriguing beginning. And it also feels pretty full and rich. The singing is just lovely. And the swimming…and the poem is interesting, too. The destruction of this bond and her desperation – I think it is really clear. I like it.

Interesting. Changing to Chelsea’s monologue – I actually like this much better than her desperate swimming, I think. I feel like it sort of brings Mary into the world in a heartbreaking but wonderful way. She is a real woman of her time and of today, in this monologue. And then Shelley is the monster when she brings him back. I wonder what would happen if they did a warring poem – alternating lines from Mary’s letters and Shelley’s poems, perhaps? Or does Mary have a poem? There’s the ‘come to me my love’ poem. And that could be sort of awesome.

“I miss you I miss you I miss you.” Another moment of for realsies chills. I actually think this is terribly affective. Devastating, yes. And lovely.

SCENE DOS

The chairs. I saw the beginning of this incarnation. Something to start thinking about is volume. And watch wonky lines.

I like it. A whole lot. I love this story. I think it is sort of beautiful and scary and saaaaad. I think this is really pretty and creepy and sad.

“Creation Creation Creation Your Creation Yours” All of this just makes me really sad. It is very quietly powerful.

SCENE TROIX

Hmmmmmmmm. Okay. I am into this, I think. I feel like I want more people around – it sort of feels like the final confrontation. And so I guess I sort of want the rest of them seeing how this ends. Or maybe that is not where it is? I guess I am just confused about how this fits in the world. Or…when? I don’t know. I think it is just me. I like it better the second time.

SCENE FOUR

There’s nudity. Oh. I mean, shirtless P-Pow. Not nudity, exactly. I was just startled. I fail to understand the thing on his face. I love this posing, though. I guess it is so he can make the David? Is the idea that Victor is Elizabeth’s creation? I guess I love this as a reimagining of their relationship, but feels a little weird. I do love the dancing. And I LOVE THE END when he freezes. But I want the creation to do something – he did. I love that. I think this is really cool. Oh. And Chelsea explains it. And it makes a lot more sense now. This is a cool thing to explore.

Replacing Victor with the Creation – neat. Way to go, Mary Shelley. This is making me have a lot of feelings. AHHHHHHHHH I LOVE IT.

1 comment:

  1. Liz, did you guess that he was David, or did you hear me say that? Because I started positioning him as David just for me, and then confessed in rehearsal that that's what I was doing for no particular reason other than that he's one of my favorite sculptures. I would be so pleased if someone happened to catch that it was David I was making up. :P

    -Jessica O.

    ReplyDelete