Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Group Meeting 15 March

Oh, the first day back after spring break. Everyone acts like they have not seen each other for months. It has been one week. They are so energetic and excited and smiley.


I hope your break was good – is everyone here, do we even know that? It seems like we’re missing a few people. I will keep it very short today. The phase in which you will see finally some progression and growth because your rehearsal schedule will get tighter and mainly it is about your checking in situation. There will probably be things you want to talk about. In terms of more work, I propose that two things happen – I am still very much intrigued by the poem project. So, those of you who would like to still continue that work are welcome to continue it individually with me. The way we do it will be like this – some of you have gone through many drafts – optional for you to come to me and meet with me and we can work individually on a performance piece. Whether it will be used by the directors is a different story. Even if it is not used and you don’t choose to work with me, it still has done some work for you – you have done some work for you. It’s not global, it’s always an individual thing – what are your current limitations, what is the obstacle – it is in the poem. Not everybody is going to be willing to go into that phase of work, so I think I can manage.


Another thing – I don’t want you to read too much or work too much as a writer because we have to focus on our performance. Nevertheless, you process is very valid and your arc of progression is important – it’s important that we make it an experience that can be documented in some way. At one point, and I think it is going to be sooner rather than later, I would like for you to start writing a 3-4 page response documenting your own process – this is the final thing I’m asking you to do – your own process in the class, in your project. Things that worked for you, things that inspired you, things that became a big obstacle and remained an obstacle, and things that you understand now differently. Whether it is from the way your director has worked with you, or through your reading and our conversations, from a quote you remember. Your flagship text will be Genesis of Apocalypsis because it is extremely valid for a performer to work with and be familiar with. Reflections on your process in comparison with Grotowski’s process – his is not a model, he says it is his journey. Don’t compare your process in terms of how you each did things – not the right way to approach it. It should be all about what is it I’m learning from this? Even if the experience is sometimes hard and sometimes you see no light, that’s actually an amazing moment of learning. That’s why you chose this path as an artist, because you’re not afraid of not knowing, this place of darkness is something that leads somewhere. A place of potential discovery, and when the discovery happens, the process is done. When it gets really done, you don’t do it anymore and you look for some other dark place to fall into. This will be a final paper for you. You can write more if you want, but 3-4 will enough. Make it a meaningful testimony, so I can learn from it. I will share your writing with the directors and with Liz. Then I will know your process – sometimes it’s hard to know your process. Not at the end of the semester – must be done the week before so we can have a class informed by reading your entries. Otherwise, no more reading from me. And the poem work, which I welcome you to do with me. Definitely meet the time after the presentation to have a final conversation, but that means that your paper will be due the week before. I might post some of them on the blog. Take advantage – read about your own work in rehearsal. How is it seen by someone else? The directors tell you how they see your work, but it’s good to have maybe other testimonials.

I’m not going to be judging them for their literary quality.


DUE DATE = April 12. The week of performances? Or the week before the week of? Due the same week as the performances. You can turn it in earlier. It’s very okay to turn it in earlier. Check in next time with the directors where the fables are at this point. We’ve gone through stages of fabling and stages of working. Something that’s maybe on it’s way to coming closer to your finalization of a fable. I’m curious about what you have to say. Candace can even dance it if she wants. [hee hee]


Let’s split and do good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment